Life Group Guide (02.04.18)
Life Group Guide
For the week of January 4-Febuary 10
Sermon Series: Holy Spirit
Sermon: The Gifts of the Spirit Pt. 2
Impact Team Focus: Setup
Main Thought for the Week:
As discussed in last week’s message, spiritual gifts are gifts of grace given to us for the sake of others. These gifts are given so that the body of Christ, the Church, may be whole and complete.
Here are 3 reasons to earnestly desire these gifts:
- You need to be filled. You need to be empowered, enabled, filled with Him, in order to do what He has called you to do.
- We need you to be filled. Your church family needs your gifts in order to be whole and complete.
- The world needs it. Our world needs redemption, and God chose us to bring redemption! We need the Holy Spirit and the spiritual gifts to accomplish this.
Here are the gifts discussed in this week’s message:
- Gift of Discernment of Spirits: This is not just decision making. This gift allows you to sense that there is a spiritual darkness in a place or situation. With this gift, God protects us, and He is bigger than any presence of darkness.
- Gift of Service: This is a gift to so love others that God enables you to serve others without it taking a draw on your soul.
- Gift of Giving: This is the supernatural grace to have the means and motivation to give away money, blessing God’s people and the world.
- Gift of Exhortation: This is the gift to encourage and build up others.
- Gift of Tongues: This is the spontaneous production of sounds that aren’t necessarily sensible to you, and appears in scripture in 3 ways:
1. Literal languages - Somebody speaks a language they don’t know and the gospel is proclaimed.
2. Prophetic Way - Someone speaks in tongues, and another is given the gift to interpret what is said.
3. Private prayer language - Speaking in tongues in prayer.
1 Corithians 12:4-9 (NIV)
4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.
7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit
- Do you ever find yourself resistant to the Holy Spirit, or to any of these spiritual gifts?
- Have you witnessed or experienced any of the spiritual gifts discussed this week?
- What are some practical ways that our church, city, and world could be impacted through these gifts?
- Have you invited God to work in these ways in you, for the benefit of others?
Pray for individual requests in the group, pray for people being reached out to by group members by name, and pray for the growth and health of Grace City.