Life Group Guide (02.25.18)
Life Group Guide
For the week of Febuary 25 - March 3
Sermon Series: Holy Spirit
Sermon: The Fight for Relationships (Spiritual Warfare Pt. 2)
Impact Team Focus: Setup
Main Thought for the Week:
Our struggle is not against flesh and blood (aka people). It is against spiritual forces of evil. When we engage in relationship, especially with a mission and a purpose, there’s going to be resistance. We need to know who the enemy is, and we need to know the battlefield we’re fighting on.
It is as if Satan places “trip wires” in us. When another person trips one of these, we are inclined to blame them instead of the one who placed the trip wire. However, what Satan intends to bring disunity, God can use to bring heaven on earth. These trip wires can lead to introspection, allowing us to identify areas where we need God to work - areas
He can use the “trip wires” placed by Satan to illuminate areas in each of us where He can work.
Here are 3 Key Points in applying this:
- Avoid False Hope - It is false hope to hope that problems will just go away in a relationship.
- Check Yourself - Take the log out of your own eye before we address the speck in another’s (Matthew 7:5).
- Be Devoted - Relationships require devotion in order to see the best in one another, and to identify and develop the best in one another (Romans 12:10).
This is impossible to do on our own! We need to Holy Spirit for this.
Ephesians 6:12-13 (NIV)
12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.
Ephesians 4:3 NIV
Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
James 4:10-11 NIV
10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. 11 Brothers and sisters, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against a brother or sister or judges them speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it.
- In times of conflict, do you lean towards confrontation, or hoping problems will just go away? Have problems arrived from your approach?
- Looking back on your life, what examples of spiritual “trip wires” can you identify in past self?
- Have you seen or experienced victory in God turning a “trip wire” into a blessing?
- What is a practical way in which you can “take up” the armor God with regards to your relationships?
Pray for individual requests in the group, pray for people being reached out to by group members by name, and pray for the growth and health of Grace City.