Life Group Guide (03.11.18)
Life Group Guide
For the week of March 11 - 16
Sermon Series: Grace is Greater
Sermon: Greater Than Your Hurts
Impact Team Focus: Kids
Main Thought for the Week: God’s grace is not just greater than what you’ve done to others. It’s also greater than anything that’s been done to you. Grace is only grace when it’s given both ways. Receiving it from God but refusing to give it to others is not an option. There are four steps in this process, modeled by Paul in 2 Timothy 4:
- Acknowledge our hurt - We sometimes pretend like nothing happened as a coping mechanism. You can’t forgive what you refuse to acknowledge. 2. Release our rights
- Release your “right” to retribution. Justice is God’s right, not ours. Forgiveness does not equate to restoration of trust.
- Pray for our enemies - When you think that what somebody did was too hurtful to be forgiven, remember what God did for you.
- Lean on the Lord - Recognize that God is standing with you.
Colossians 3:13 (NIV)
13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
2 Timothy 4:14-18 (NIV)
14 Alexander the metalworker did me a great deal of harm. The Lord will repay him for what he has done. 15 You too should be on your guard against him, because he strongly opposed our message.
16 At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them. 17 But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion’s mouth. 18 The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
- What is one thing that stood out to you from this week’s message?
- Have you ever experienced a time when your lack of forgiveness for someone else only hurt you?
- What steps can we take to forgive others, even when it sometimes feels impossible?
- Tell us about a time you forgave someone, and it changed your life.
Pray for individual requests in the group, pray for people being reached out to by group members by name, and pray for the growth and health of Grace City.